The PBHEV Laptop or ST106 Notebook 10.1 is a famous laptop brand in Cameroon. The concept behind this, specifications, review, price and where to buy as well as all the latest drivers for this laptop are discussed here
The PBHEV Laptop is a famous laptop brand in Cameroon. Though initially offered as a presidential grant from Mr Paul Biya, intended for university students, it is not uncommon to see it being used by just about anyone in the streets of Cameroon. This is because anybody can purchase this laptop outrightly without being a student.
The Concept Behind the PBHEV Laptop
Launched in 2016, the PBHEV laptop initiative is part of the 500,000 personal computer gift from the President of Cameroon. Many critics have argued that it is not a gift, but debt from China. Although it is reasonable to point out the shortcomings of the project, it is also essential to evaluate the pros.
To start off, the PCs came with branding: the PB-HEV brand. When questioned, many reviewers said it was Packard Bell. However, this did not explain the HEV. This only lasted for a few hours until the OEM branding guidelines document was released, revealing that PB-HEV stood for Paul Biya-Higher Education Vision. I understand that English or more rightly put, poorly coined English slogans are in vogue in Cameroon today.
Permit me to ask: did they mean Paul Biya's Higher Education Vision, or Paul Biya: The Higher Education Vision, or Paul Biya-Higher Education Vision? Scholars of the English language will point out the importance of punctuation signs in completely altering the meaning of phrases. I cannot fathom out the purpose of this in all honesty. Well, this is a discussion for another day.
Specifications of the PBHEV Laptop
The PBHEV laptop is a rebrand of the model ST106 Notebook 10.1 on many China-based websites. Below are the specs:
- Screen: 10.1-inch LCD screen (HD Resolution: 1280 X 800)
- Processor: Intel Atom chip clocked at 1.4GHz
- Graphics: Integrated Intel Graphics Card
- Internal Storage: 32 GB solid-state drive (SSD) Expandable via Micro SD Card Slot
- RAM: 2GB RAM
- Operating System: Windows 10 64 Bit
- Battery Life: Seven(7) Hours of Screen On Time
- Colour Options: Black, White
- Keyboard options: AZERTY, QWERTY
- Languages supported: English, French.
Review of the PBHEV Laptop/ST106 Notebook 10.1
Taking a look at the specifications enumerated above, it is evident that the PBHEV laptop or ST106 Notebook 10.1 comes with very minimum specked hardware and software. Let us take a look at the advantages and disadvantages:
Advantages of the PBHEV Laptop
You can do the following with the laptop conveniently:
- Surf the web to do their research (assignments).
- type their research projects (thesis)
- Watch video tutorials.
- Listen to music.
- The battery life of 7 hours in our testing was impressive.
- The PBhev laptops are very portable, i.e. beneficiaries can fit their PBhev into their bags and conveniently carry their laptops to school or anywhere to study.
- Beneficiaries can install up to 7 or more computer programs on the PBHev (depending on the size of the computer programs).
Disadvantages of the PBHEV Laptop/ST106 Notebook 10.1
- Beneficiaries cannot install many programs on the PBhev laptops due to limited disk space. As mentioned before, the hard disk space of the PBhevs is just 32GB. This may be expanded using the dedicated MicroSD card slot.
- PBhev users are restricted from uninstalling specific programs on those laptops which insinuate that if spyware has been installed on the PBhevs, you have to live with that. Luckily, this issue can be resolved by formatting the PBHEV laptop. In the section below, you can get all the latest and up to date drivers for the PBHEV laptop/Notebook ST106. This is usually required after a successful format or new windows installation.
- The small processor speed (i.e. 1.4GHz) of the PBhev laptops suggest that beneficiaries won,t be able to run high-end computer-intensive programs like games, video and music software. Nevertheless, that is not a problem because the PBhevs were specifically or primarily designed for educational purpose and not for entertainment.
Price and Where to Buy the PBHEV Laptop
Though not initially intended for sale, PBHEV laptops are readily available for purchase at the cost of 25000 Francs CFA in many towns in Cameroon. Some cities where you can get these laptops include Douala, Yaounde, Buea, Bamenda, Bafoussam, Dschang, etc. You can get them all over the national territory.
At the price of 25000 Francs or $50, the PBHEV laptop is very cheap and affordable. Getting it will not hurt your wallet a lot, and it might be fair to say that for the specifications listed above, you get more than what you pay for.
If you urgently need a PBHEV laptop in any town in Cameroon, you can do the following:
Latest Drivers For PBHEV Laptops / ST106 Notebook 10.1
Below are the most up to date driver versions intended for use on all PBHEV laptops or ST106 Notebook Models (Tous les pilotes destinés à être utilisés sur tous les ordinateurs portables PBHEV ou les modèles d'ordinateurs portables ST106) . We continuously update this list. All drivers are free of charge and unlimited downloads are possible.
List of All PBHEV Drivers Included in this Pack
- Battery: Intel(R) Battery Management Device
- Wi-Fi Driver: Realtek RTL8723BS Wireless LAN 802.11n SDIO Network Adapter
- Realtek Bluetooth UART Bus Driver
- Graphics Driver: Intel Graphics
- Intel(R) AVStream Camera
- Audio Drivers: ES8316AudCodec Device and Intel SST Audio Device (WDM)
- All System Drivers
- You can download all the drivers HERE.
Wrapping it Up
The PBHEV laptop or ST106 Notebook 10.1-inch model is a perfect buy at the price of 25000 Francs CFA. Though it might have its limitations, it is worth considering if you're on a tight budget. If not, we recommend these budget or gaming laptops for your review.