While discussing with Awa Cheng, a successful Cameroonian blogger based in Douala, he asked me what I could say about the rise in blogging in Cameroon. This was what I had to say as a response to that question. 7 Reasons Why Blogging is on the Rise in Cameroon
Blogging in Cameroon is continuously on the rise. It is not uncommon to discover sporadic blogs from Cameroon every day. This is actually a good thing as this will imply that Cameroonian bloggers are on the rise.
This was what I had to say as a response to that question.
7 Reasons Why Blogging is on the Rise in Cameroon
- The Decrease in Internet Fare In Cameroon
- The Use of Twitter, Facebook and Other Social Media Platforms
- The Quest For Fame
- The decrease in Price of Tech Hardware such as Tablets, laptops and Phones
- The Dominance of Tech Start-Ups
1. The Decrease in Internet Fare In Cameroon
2. The Use of Twitter, Facebook and Other Social Media Platforms
Social Media sites such as Twitter, FB & Instagram have contributed immensely to the rise in blogging in Cameroon. The use of Facebook or Twitter is an eye-opener to some Cameroonian bloggers. With over 2 billion Facebook users in Africa, Cameroon accounts for about 4 million of them.
3. CompetitionAs with any other field in life, Blogging is a competitive one. Some young bloggers who admire the write-ups or articles of other professional bloggers in Cameroon will obviously be poised to follow the trend.
4. UnemploymentUnemployment is a sad reality in Africa and Cameroon in particular. Some Cameroonians have chosen to blog today because they have no jobs. This can be regarded as a wise decision.
5. The Quest For FamePeople in Cameroon have increasingly used their names as domain names in many personal blogs
This may be explained by the fact that these bloggers might just want to be unique. However, some bloggers just want to get online to have their names on the internet as it seems to be the case.
6. The decrease in Price of Tech Hardware such as Tablets, laptops and PhonesIt is no secret that many Cameroonians can blog because phones, laptops and internet keys are now cheaper. This makes it affordable, even for the average citizen. Acquisition of a computer, tablet or smartphone can predispose a person to quickly think of fulfilling his or her dream of Blogging.
Oh yeah, lest we forget, Cameroonian Youths have been labelled the 'Android Generation'. To be honest, there is every degree of truth to that statement. Most youths can easily manipulate tech devices. With this ease of operation, a technology gap is being breached.
7. The Dominance of Tech Start-UpsBy 2012, tech startups had begun offering services to the public. Since then, they have also been on the rise in Cameroon, as they provide web development services to the general public.
My Final ThoughtsThe increase in the number of blogs in Cameroon is the current trend. Nevertheless, there is still a lot that many newbie bloggers need to comprehend.
They need to know that Blogging involves the following:
- Providing evergreen content
- Entice their followers with good web design ( mobile-friendly sites, adopt AMP)
- Perform Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Promotion (Promote their sites and content)
- Collaborate with other bloggers (Team Work)
- Adopt ways to make money on your blog.
Once you follow these tips, your blogging career is guaranteed to be a successful one.
Read Also: The 15 Proven Ways to Make Money Online In Cameroon
- Are you a Cameroonian wishing to become a successful blogger? Comment below or send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will give you free tips.